Dr. Yankie is specialized and trained to undergo the diagnosis, treatment of dental disorders. Her practice is committed to serving patients with the right diagnosis and treatment plan for their dental problems.
As we understand the pressures of having a dull smile, we have dedicated a general dentistry department in our practice to correct your dental problems. Our preventive dentistry department is solely dedicated to educating and serving patients who suffer from oral infections and diseases. Our practice also provides restorative solutions for patients with missing or misaligned teeth.
Why is preventive dentistry crucial to maintaining healthy teeth?
The first step in protecting our teeth from dental problems is by educating ourselves with dental hygiene routines. Our practice is diligent in providing patient education to our new patients. Preventive dentistry involves several methods of protecting your teeth from dental disorders and oral infections. As providers of dental health care, Dr. Yankie and her staffs take great importance in advising patients with several in-home dental hygiene routines that patients can follow such as routine brushing and flossing of the teeth. While a few of the preventive dentistry measures can be done at home, some measures would require the expertise of a professional, we have dedicated a preventive dentistry department in our office to serve your dental needs even better.
How can preventive dentistry help you to fight oral infections?
Dr. Yankie would carefully examine your teeth and suggest a suitable dental plan. She would carry out a few tests and perform procedures which would help prevent the onset of any infection.
- Oral cleaning: Plaque and tartar are the main causes of gingivitis and periodontal disease. They are nothing but bacteria which have been accumulated for a long period of time and have eventually hardened on the surface of the teeth. Scaling is a method of cleaning the teeth and getting rid of the plaque and tartar. As an advanced method, an ultrasonic scaling device may be used for this purpose. Root planing is the procedure of removing accumulated plaque from the root of the teeth. Oral cleaning prevents most of the dental infections.
- Dental sealants: Sealant is a filling like material which is used to fill in the grooves of the molars and premolars. This prevents the accumulation of microbes in these grooves, thereby reducing the chances of developing cavities.
- Fluoride treatment: Fluoride is a mineral that makes the teeth stronger and prevents them from developing cavities. We get the supply of fluoride required for our body through drinking water and the toothpaste that we use. However, when it isn't adequate enough, the teeth may start to become weak. Fluoride treatment helps increase the level of fluoride in the teeth, making them resistant to decay.
- Dental X-rays: X-rays of the mouth help reveal any onset of cavities even before they become very apparent. This helps the dentist treat the cavity at an earlier stage, thereby preventing tooth failure.
- Oral cancer screening: Oral cancers is mostly contracted by excessive smoking and usage of tobacco. Dr. Yankie would check the patient's mouth for signs such as redness, sores, lumps, leukoplakia, etc. If any such signs are found, further tests may be required to confirm the presence of cancer, after which appropriate treatment can be given.